Thursday, February 12, 2009

What downside of blogging?

To all our loyal friends and family who read this blog thank you for reading. Just as a preface to this particular blog entry, I (Elizabeth) have started some grad classes, one of which is a Technology course. Therefore, I am going to be using this blog for a few assignments.

To all my fellow class members, I hope you feel free to read about our adventures and live vicariously through us and/or get the travel bug as we have. :-)

To answer the questions for the week, I would say I agree and disagree with the statement. (For those interested here is a link to the questions). In general I would say that yes, blogs can be biased or as one of the articles mentioned, a soapbox. On the other hand, I think that the average web user knows that a blog is a different form of journalism or writing. I would think the average user understands that a blog is often one person writing, and therefore will be influenced by their perspectives.

I also think that this is often the reason a person follows a blog. They are interested in that particular topic or that particular view. They also may know respect that person and want to know what their personal opinion is on a topic.

As far as the downsides of blogging, I have to admit at this point I don't see many. It's a great place for writers to write, readers to read, learners to learn and even for collaboration to happen as in the article by J. Cowan. She came up with a great way to collaborate and get the community involved. I'll be interested to see what others think the downside might be.

क्या कहाना
K&E

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love your blog! I agree with your views on blogging. Of course there is bias but that is true of any form of journalism. I am new to blogging but so far I am loving it. I think blogs are a great way for students to journal and share of themselves outside of their school work. The opportunities to explore the world through blogs is great for students of all ages.

Anonymous said...

Hello Thank You for participating in this weeks discussion. Yes, I agree that most people using blogs are familiar with the purpose of blogs. That it is a form of journalism. Journalism is often one sided as writers bias of topics often come into play. As a tool in an educational setting I think that blogs can open pandoras box for students to post bias and hurtful information about other students. For example recently a child has commited suicide because of comments via email and other social networks (My Space). However, if effectivly monitered I think it would be an opportunity for students to share their thoughts in a different forum.