Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Another Point of View

Well, so far I have been letting Kevin do all the updates, but I thought I would add a few of my own thoughts. I think things have been going well. Not to say that I haven't had a little culture shock, but each day things seem to get better. Maria, our housekeeper is really great! The more we talk the more I am excited to have her working for us. She has had lots of experience and great references which are all proving to be a great thing because we can rely on her for things we are not sure about. One great example is the phone calls Kevin mentioned before when someone calls and speaks only Hindi. She is there for us when the phone rings or someone comes to the door, so that has been great. And of course she is taking great care of Suri, including half hour walks each day which I am sure Suri is loving. And she is really picking up Suri's personality. She told us the first day that she could tell Suri only wanted the nicest grass to do her business. Very astute.

Last night we ventured out again to do a little more shopping. So far we are just walking around, so that we can get ourselves oriented, but one day we will start taking rickshaws I am sure. Especially when it is sunny and warm. We walked down to Chroma, one of the bigger electronic stores to get some extension cords and sign up for Cable TV. On the way back, we made several stops, including buying a few clothes, and some new toothbrushes. The more we walk and shop the more I feel like we are starting to understand how things work.

One thing on our walk that kind of caught me off guard was the chicken shop. We were walking down the street with all the little shops and restaurants, and one just had live chickens in cages. I assume you just walk in and say I want a chicken and they butcher it and wrap it up for you to take home. On the one had that is very fresh chicken. On the other hand, I am totally a city girl who is not use to seeing where my food comes from in that sense. Just one of the many charms of being in a new place.

So far being at the school and my new job has been great! It has so much community and I love that about this place. Slowly but surely I am figuring out what my role is here and what I need to be doing. Its such a different atmosphere when there is someone to do everything, unlike SYC were I was the person who did 'everything'. I am really looking forward to the school year starting so I can see what it is like working in a school setting.

Speaking of work, I better go find out what my next task is...

क्या कहाना
K&E

No comments: